Monday, April 09, 2012

Taking A Couple Bad Trips

I kind of stumbled upon Bad Trip when I was on an early 90's kick recently. I only had their split with Go!, and the Elevator 7 inch, and while I enjoyed them when I picked up those records 20 years ago, I don't think they ever really made much of an impression on me. After listening to those songs recently, I suddenly found myself very interested to check out what else they had done.

Even after releasing two full length albums in the 90's, I don't believe that Bad Trip ever really generated much attention from the Hardcore scene. Hell, it's obvious that I'd never really been too interested in checking them out when they were around. Because of this, I figured that eBay would be flooded with cheap vinyl for the band. To my surprise, the pickings were pretty slim, and after months of searching for the Fear And Loathing LP, I was still sitting here empty handed. There were a couple copies of the Positively Bad 7 inch floating around with Buy It Now options, but I was holding out for the first Bad Trip LP. It finally got to the point where I couldn't take it any more, and I pulled the trigger on one of those Positively Bad records.

As soon as I sent my paypal payment, I noticed that the 7 inch that I bought was on Wreckage records. Hold on. I seem to remember seeing another copy with different labels. I did some research and discovered that the Wreckage pressing was not the original.

The original pressing of the Positively Bad 7 inch was on Bell Bottom Records. I found a recent auction on eBay that ended with zero bids. I took a chance and messaged the seller, asking if he'd be interested it throwing it back up on eBay with a Buy It Now option. He agreed, and I couldn't resist owning an original pressing. So within a couple of days, and for a total of $8.25, I now had two different copies in my collection.

I don't know if I'd say that this 7 inch is better than the Fear and Loathing LP, but damn, this record is really good. A nice surprise that I find myself spinning every couple of days.

6 comments:

mcs said...

The second LP 'Buzzy' is also really good, but more of a Quicksand type vibe. Was produced by Walter Schreifels which might help explain it. Definitely worth checking out.

Also, the 7" you have also comes on clear vinyl (the Wreck-age version). Only 200 of them.

Mike said...

I gave Buzzy a quick listen last week, and I thought wasn't nearly as good as their previous stuff. I'll stick with it though, as it may grow on me.

I'd like that clear vinyl pressing. I just saw that there is another Bell Bottom pressing on ebay right now with green labels. Yeah, I kind of want that one too. I'm really digging this band right now.

mcs said...

You've got me thinking about them now too.

Also there's a 7" called 'Elevator' on Wreck-age. I think it has a song or two that went on to be on the 'Buzzy' LP, but maybe an earlier recording which sounds less polished. I think. 200 on orange vinyl too.

I'm very proud of my Wreck-age collection by the way.

Mike said...

Yeah, I bought the Elevator 7 inch back in the day...before I lost my mind and stopped buying vinyl. I've got it on orange no less!

Anonymous said...

pretty sure the green labels is the first press on bell bottom records. and the split 7" with Go! is also awesome. great band.

buzzkill.xvx said...

I totally love Bad Trip and am still kicking myself for not checking them out live when I had the chance to in the 90s.
I just recently saw a copy of 'fear and loathing' in a record store I will be visiting again in a few days. Let me know if you want me to pick it up for you.