Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Four Bars

I've been thinking about picking up some Black Flag vinyl for a while. Great classic band, and I seem to be listening to them more and more nowadays...kind of rediscovering the greatness of those Rollins albums. Some of it I've never owned, some I've owned on CD...some on cassette. I figured it was time that I owned some vinyl, so I picked up a few for Christmas. Yesterday I saw the latest posts from Marcus and I realized that my copies are shit. I now want colored vinyl.

In My Head. Nope, never owned this before. I downloaded it years ago, but I always preferred the early years of Black Flag, and I never really warmed up to the band's last album. In fact, I've probably listened to it a total of 5 times in my life. Back when I was on a Stoner/Doom kick, I gave this album a spin and liked what I heard. It was time to own a proper copy.

I Can See You. I didn't even know this record existed until a couple years ago. I remember seeing it down at Newbury Comics in Boston. I was completely stunned as I'd never heard of it before. It is the band's last studio recordings, and since I'd paid so little attention to In My Head, it shouldn't have come as that big of a surprise that I'd never heard of it before. I didn't pick it up from Newbury's at the time, as I wanted to find out more about it. I didn't want to buy it only to discover it was some crap instrumental/poetry record. I downloaded it to preview it, and loved it even more than In My Head. Out Of This World is one of my favorite latter day Flag songs.

Even though I've always preferred the early stuff from Black Flag, the only thing that I ever owned from this period was The First Four Years....on cassette. Embarrassing.

The vinyl that I got, has the b-side label offset, so center hole gets punched through one of the song titles.

TV Party 7 inch. Finally some Black Flag colored vinyl!

One of my more embarrassing confessions. The I Can See You EP was a surprise, but I figured that it had to be the last songs of Black Flag that had somehow escaped me. Not true. Say hello to the TV Party record. Sure, I knew this existed, but like Nervous Breakdown, Jealous Again, and Six Pack, I assumed that the songs from the TV Party EP were included in The First Four Years compilation LP. I never double checked as I was pretty sure in my assumption. Amateur. Somehow, over the past couple months, I stumbled across the track list for TV Party, and realized that I had never heard of the songs from the b-side. Mind fucking blown.

Grabbed this copy on orange vinyl from REVHQ with my latest order. Time to slowly start working on the other colored vinyl for this band.

2 comments:

mcs said...

As you are no doubt now aware, a few Flag records have just been reissued on color. You can order direct from SST. The LPs are $9 each + shipping, which seems pretty reasonable to me. The ones that have just been repressed are 'Loose Nut' (on pink and brown), 'In My Head' (on brown and yellow), & 'Slip It In' (on dark olive green). There are also four 7"s which are recent represses - 'Six Pack' (whitish grey), 'Nervous Breakdown' (blue), 'Louie Louie' (grey) and the one you got on orange (which is the only one I don't have!).

Also, you may be interested to hear that there are also a couple of Descendents LPs that have also just been pressed on color - 'ALL' (which you will no doubt recall is Tim McMahon's favourite) on purple and the 'Bonus Fat' 12" on grey.

These are only recent represses. Even though there are a lot, there haven't actually been any other color vinyl Flag or Descendents pressings since the early 90s. The early 90s colors will probably cost you on average about $60 or so each. I've been slowly picking them up over the years and am getting close to a full collection. When I get the couple I am missing I will pull the whole lot out for a family photo. At the rate I'm going, expect this circa 2015.

(By the way, I have a label on my blog for Black Flag. Check it HERE. Gives you an insight into some of the stuff out there)

Mike said...

Great info! Thanks Marcus!