Sunday, January 01, 2012

2011 Recap

2011 is now behind us. It's a time for reflection. A time for resolutions. A time for Top 10 lists and my annual recap on how much music I bought over the past 12 months.

354 new records and CDs for 2011. The number of LPs was down a little compared to last year, and the number of 7 inches was up, but overall, my numbers are pretty comparable to last years total of 344.

I also download a lot of music as well. When you add in 130 downloads of records where I haven't had the opportunity to pick up a physical copy yet, that brings the yearly total to a staggering 484. Fuck. I listen to a lot of music.

Once again the monthly graph is more a reflection of my blog posts, as opposed to when I actually received my records. Since the blog tends to be a month or two behind, the numbers don't truly reflect the number of records landing in my mailbox. Still, an average of almost 30 records a month, is an impressive number.

I know that I said this last year, but I really want to get my blog posts caught up, so that it more representative of what's coming in.

Compared to years past, the last three years have remained pretty steady on how much new music I buy each year. At least I'm consistent.

I thought that 2010 was a strong year for Hardcore and Metal, but 2011 puts the previous year to shame. I can't believe how many great records were released this year.

Without a doubt, Remission grabs the top spot in the Hardcore Top 10 this year. While I haven't received my Disengage LP yet, I've heard the album and it is so impressive that I had to make a last minute adjustment to the list and add them in at number 3. This years list also sees a few surprises. Crusades, Night Birds and Deep Sleep were all new to me this year, and each one impressed the Hell out of me. Punk Rock...don't stop.

Holy shit, there were a lot of great Metal releases this year. Orchid have not released their album on vinyl yet, and remains a CD only release. They are working on the vinyl release for early 2012, and once it is available, you can expect Capricorn to find a post here on this blog. Who cares about the Black Sabbath reunion...we have Orchid.

One additional point, while I did buy around the same amount of CDs this year, compared to last, I did tend to lean more towards vinyl for new Metal releases. Last year, I think that I bought six new Metal releases on vinyl. This year, I doubled that number.

Finally, we get to what I actually spent most of my time listening to last year. Let me say that the anniversary of Dio's passing, had a big impact on what I listened to in 2011. Black Sabbath and Dio top this list because of that fact.

Thanks again to anyone that took the time to read this blog, and commented on the posts. Music my obsession and I enjoy sharing it and discussing it with anyone.

6 comments:

John Harris said...

I think your blog is amazing, and has the ability to turn people on to bands or music they haven't heard before.....thanks to you Ghost and Blood Ceremony became to "hot rotation" bands in my home. Now let's hope that 2012 brings us more great music!!

mcs said...

Really good post! Great analysis, impressive graphs, good lists of new releases. You really pulled out all the stops. I can't even try to compete this year.

mcs said...

From a perfectionist standpoint, the first picture needs work. The column headers are aligned left whilst the data is aligned right. And the cursor position on December's CDs kinda ruins it too. Please fix ASAP.

Ha!

Mike said...

John, I love sharing new music with people that are interested.

Marcus, damn, you are right about that first picture. Amature Hour with Excel.

Dan Emery said...

This is so cool, and I'm glad you put stick together in your top records... that is such an awesome 7". I got my copy of the Disengage LP last week in the mail, I ordered it through triple-b when it first went up for pre-order. That record is also a great one, and I'll be seeing that band with Step Forward and Free Spirit in a couple weeks in Cambridge. There are some other records that you listed that I haven't heard yet... i've got to pick up my game on these new bands!!

Mike said...

I would love to go to that show Dan, but Ghost is playing Boston on the same day, and nothing will be able to keep me away from seeing them with Blood Ceremony.