Sunday, December 27, 2009

Boston Hardcore

Kingpin probably are not the band that most people think of when you are talking about Boston Hardcore, but back in 1991 when I was starting to break into the Boston scene, these guys played just about every show that I went to. I remember one of the first real hardcore shows that I went to was Sick of it All and Vision at Bunratty's, with Kingpin opening up for them. These kids just had so much energy, and people were going nuts for them...stagediving left and right. It was amazing, and probably one of those defining moments in my life...where I started to leave Metal behind and focus solely on Hardcore. Soon after that show they opened up for Killing Time at a small club behind The Channel, and Al Quint was selling the Kingpin 7 inch from the back of his car. I grabbed a copy from him on black vinyl.

One of the coolest things about collecting records is finding out about pressings that you had no idea existed. Up until this year, I thought that the black vinyl was the only pressing that existed for the Kingpin 7 inch. I was excited to find out that this record was pressed on gold, and I grabbed a copy from Robb Woods. Shortly after I posted about it, Marcus let me know that it was also pressed on red vinyl. Recently I was finally able to complete the Kingpin trilogy and buy a copy of the red vinyl from Al Barkley.
First press is 200 on red and 800 on black vinyl. Second press is 500 on gold.

4 comments:

mcs said...

Cool.. but where did you unearth the pressing info?

Mike said...

I found Al Quint's email address, and I asked him directly.

luciferyellow said...

Ha, ha. I always like it when you get out the "oldies". I think I had/have that one on red vinyl. They had a pretty neat and unique sound - reminds me of Bad Trip or a poor man's Quicksand.

Unknown said...

yes,but where can i listen to them...not on youtube!!!