Saturday, June 20, 2009

Said and Gone

I was looking to check out some new music when I saw Dead and Gone Records put up pre-orders for their latest record, Ironclad's 7 inch. I checked out an mp3, and liked what I heard. Nice, no frills hardcore. To sweeten the deal, Dead and Gone were offering a free CD with any order, so I grabbed the Ironclad record and a free copy of the Break It Up disc. The Ironclad 7 inch is on blue vinyl and limited to 500.

When I was placing my order, I saw that Dead and Gone also had the Said and Done 7 inch in their online store. I received an email from Pim when this was released last year, to let me know that Shield had them up for pre-order if I was interested. Well I was, but at the time I was feeling really broke and passed on placing the order. Seeing it in the Dead and Gone store, I figured that it was about time that finally picked up a copy.

I really wish that I had ordered this when it was first available, and received the special pre-order cover, because this 7 inch is amazing. I really liked the LP from a couple of years ago, and this probably tops that effort. Great unconventional hardcore. I don't know, kind of comparable to Cro-Mags mixed with Underdog...maybe reminiscent of the older Justice records with some sick grooves. You really need to check this record out if you haven't already. I seem to have the best luck with this band. When I ordered the Everyday LP from Shield, I was surprised that they included a bonus test press. Then when I receive my order from Dead and Gone, they sent me the pressing with the record release cover. There are 525 on grey vinyl, but only 50 of those came with record release cover.
*Update* After writing this post, I emailed Pim from Said and Done, and he let me know that he was the one that designed the cover for the Ironclad 7 inch...too funny that I included them both in this post. He said that the band wanted a kind of KRS One rip-off for the cover, and now that he mentioned it, I can see the similarity with the Ironclad cover and KRS One's Return of the Boom Bap album. Very cool.

No comments: