Sunday, June 07, 2009

Man Overboard

One of the coolest things about this Record Collector Blogger Network is when I'm introduced to a band that I may not have otherwise checked out. After reading about Walk the Plank on blogs by both Marcus and Lins, I figured that I'd check them out. The band features Ian Leck from Voorhees, plus a couple of guys from SSS, and man, these guys play some intense hardcore. Awesome stuff.

In the comments section from the post on Lins' blog, Ian Leck left a message that he had a couple extra copies of the record release pressing of their LP, Dead Weight in Hostile Waters. Known as the Blackspot pressing, this this is packaged beautifully, and limited to 100. The record is black vinyl with plain black labels, and comes with a nice glossy copy of the show flier, and a very cool piece of parchment paper with the details of the record release.

I really did not want to break the wax seal on the parchment, but I really wanted to find out what number I had. Thankfully, I was able pull out the corner of the paper and find out that mine was number 95. The cool thing is that the copy that Lins has is number 94.

In addition to the Blackspot pressing, I also bought a copy of the LP on blue with white splatter from Ian. This one was limited to 350 copies from Dead & Gone Records. You know, I would have never expected a band with a pirate/nautical theme to be able to pull it off, but Walk the Plank manage to do it flawlessly.


I had sent the money to Ian at the beginning of October 2008. After numerous emails, checking in and asking where my records were, the man finally pulled through and I received them 8 months later. As compensation for making me wait so long, Ian threw in a copy of Voorhees final LP, 13. He went online, and took a look at my collection to see that while I had this on CD, I did not have a vinyl copy. This album is pretty good, but not nearly as great as their first LP, Spilling Blood Without Reason. Still, it is a nice addition to the collection.

Ian also sent me a Youth of Today bootleg 7 inch. This is a pretty cool live record from a couple of YOT shows in France and Liverpool, which include covers of Gorilla Biscuits and Sick Of It All. Nice. This was limited to 300 copies.


3 comments:

Nab/JSY said...

HOLY CRAP! I live in Toulouse and I didn't know that YOT played here!!!

I was at Walk The Plank's last show in Liverpool and didn't even bother looking for a special sleeve or anything, i wouldn't be surprised if they did one.

You should check out Abandon Ship from he same period/scene they have some good releases on vinyl.

Lins87 said...

haha number 95 now that is cool. Awesome record and I was also at that last show on the "boat" and they didn't do a special cover for it as far as my memory serves. There was a ltd cover for about 10 lps they had left over and donated them to a local record store in Leeds to help them out whilst in a financial pickle.

mcs said...

I had never opened my little piece of paper thing for the same reason - not wanting to break the wax seal. After reading this, I did the same as you, Mike... I unfolded one corner, to learn that I have number 16. The limited cover Lins mentions was out of 25. The record store was called Out Of Step, so the limited cover is the "Save Out Of Step" edition and is a spoof on the Minor Threat 12"... and looks great.