Sunday, January 25, 2009

Soul Out Of Control

Damn, I've had these records for a while now. Soul Control came up with this idea to release four one-sided 7 inches, with each cover being a piece of a larger picture when they all come together. Kind of a cool idea, but one song 7 inches seem like a bit of a waste. Still, when the band announced that the first in the series was up for pre-order, I jumped on it. The bands album, Involution, released on Rivalry, was great record...full of driving songs with a strong Burn influence. Great stuff. Shortly after the album was released, I believe the band replaced their singer, and I don't think that this new 7 inch is as nearly as strong. Still pretty good though. I kind of lost control when I was placing the order, and ordered both the pre-order pressing and the regular pressing. When I got the order, I felt like a moron for ordering both since the only difference between the two is the Triple B Records stamp and hand numbering on the pre-order press. Cool for the collector, but in hindsight, I probably could have done without the regular press, which was limited to 350.
In addition to the new Soul Control, I also picked up the new Foundation 7 inch. I had seen the band play at the Edge Day show back in '07, and I really liked the mid-90's hardcore sound they were playing...kind of like early Unbroken or Outspoken. The 7 inch was a bit of a disappointment when I first heard it, but it is slowly growing on me, and I'm liking it more with each listen. The packaging on this record is quality...great layout and artwork for the sleeve, with the vinyl pressed on a cool blue and green split. Limited to 150.

No comments: