Tuesday, July 23, 2024

All You Embrace

One Step Closer has been an interesting band to follow. Their first EP, From Me To You, had a strong Have Heart vibe, but with each release the band has moved more and more into a more melodic direction. When they released their three song EP, Songs For The Willow, last year, I was feeling that I was probably done with the band. I really liked those songs, but I felt like they had pushed their sound as far as I was willing go with it.
I recently discovered Title Fight and have been listening to them a bunch this year, and they can lean into that melodic style that I never thought that I'd appreciate... but I've had a number of musical perspective changes in the past year, and that is one of them. So when I heard that One Step Closer had a new album on the way, I thought that if they went in the direction of their Wilkes-Barre home town heroes, Title Fight, then there was a chance that I might really enjoy it. I took the chance and ordered the record.
The thing is, I do kind of like this album. I wish that they had more of a harder edge, and didn't get poppy enough to remind me of Sum 41 at times, but I don't hate it. I don't expect it will be a favorite of the year, unless the new hardcore field continues to remain thin, but I do like to give this a spin every once in a while.
The packaging for All You Embrace, on the other hand is fantastic. The nice lyric booklet is nice and thick with some big photos and comments from the band about touring and recording. It is a nice touch. 500 pressed on blue, white and black swirl colored vinyl.

No comments: