Monday, November 27, 2023

Songs For The Willow

One Step Closer released their second record, This Place You Know, a couple of years ago. I expected big things from that record, but it didn't hit like I'd expected it to, and with all the other cool shit released that year, I kind of forgot about it. Of course that didn't stop me from jumping in to preorder the latest EP from the band.
The latest 12 inch, Songs For The Willow, arrived at my house months ago, but I just haven't been in the mood to check it out. One Step Closer covered Turning Point's Broken a couple of years ago, so I always think of them trying to take that same trajectory of going from a hardcore band and progressively getting more and more melodic. OSC aren't Turning Point though, so with this latest EP, I was worried that they may have tried too hard and completely diluted their sound. Despite my hesitance, these three songs are a great blend of hardcore and melody. I'm kind of impressed... and at around 10 minutes, I can see myself revisiting these songs often.
"Sunset orange" colored vinyl is limited to 500.

1 comment:

itallcomesdowntothis said...

Good to see you finally had the chance to give this record a listen. Even better that you ended up liking it!