Thursday, April 25, 2024

Talkin' Spiritual Cramp

So far, 2024 has given me two newer albums that have had me straight up obsessed. I posted about the new IDLES record earlier this month, but right there alongside it as one of my favorites this year is the latest from Spiritual Cramp.
The band caught my attention last year when I was chasing all kinds of new and different music. I was on Spotify and noticed they had a playlist for new releases that they put together based on my listening tastes. Normally, I would have ignored it, but given my mood most of last year, I figured that I'd give it a quick check to see if anything jumped out at me. One of the first things that I saw was a song called Earth To Mike from Spiritual Cramp. Given that my name was in the song title, I decided to listen to it... and it was so much fun. As I was getting into that song, Spiritual Cramp were set to release their new full length record, but I was still hesitant to commit to the band. I mean, Earth To Mike and a couple other songs from the Here Comes More Bad News EP were cool, but did I like them enough to hang with a full album?
As we were closing out February this year, early in the morning one of the newer Spiritual Cramp songs, Talkin' On The Internet came up on Spotify and I was instantly hooked. I immediately jumped in to listen to the full album, and by 10:00 that morning, I'd run through it three times. Fuck. It was so good. Two months later and I still can't get enough of this record, and I have to actively choose to NOT listen to it for fear that I'm going to overplay the damn thing. In fact, I'm also trying to not rush out and buy the three other vinyl options for this record like an addict.

2 comments:

mcs said...

I decided to check this out based on your apparent level of excitement, and instantly I like it. Reminds me a bit of Culture Abuse mixed with Interpol. It's immediately catchy.

I had a quick look at discogs and was surprised to see that their first release was a 7" on React! Records. I then searched your blog for it, assuming you would have picked it up back when it came out in 2017, but no, apparently not.

Mike said...

Spoiler alert: the React! 7 inch is coming soon