Monday, April 08, 2024

New Idles

Last year, I was all about checking out new music that was outside the normal spectrum of what I typically listen to. I was really craving something new and different for me, and I found all kinds of stuff that was fresh and interesting to me. In that spirit, I stumbled upon the band IDLES as I was checking out some new music on Spotify. The artwork of the pink frosted cake for the single Gift Horse caught my eye, and I figured that I'd take a chance and give it a quick listen.
I was really digging the Gift Horse single and quickly checked the other two song that were on Spotify to promote the upcoming album TANGK. I listened to those songs a lot... partly because I really liked them, but also because I wasn't sure how much I really liked them. A couple of the songs were a bit raucous but still restrained, and one of the songs, Grace, was really laid back... and I couldn't easily define the band. I could feel myself starting to obsess over the songs, and after being drawn back to Grace over and over, I started to wonder if I wanted to buy the record.
There was a deluxe edition of the vinyl available, and I was wondering if I should make the jump for it. It cost a bit more than the regular version, but the holographic cover sounded like it would be a cool touch... but I still wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the cash for a band that I didn't know too well, so I stared at it in the webstore for about a week... and then it sold out. I was mad at myself for not making a move sooner and for playing it so safe... and then a couple of days later the webstore had it in stock again, so I quickly pulled the trigger.
Initially I wasn't sure how I felt about the full album, but after a few listens it really started to click with me, and it is one of the most listened to records for me so far this year. I'm still listening to a bunch of stuff that is a bit different for me, and this IDLES record is definitely one of my favorite things right now.
The entire packaging of this record is so good. The metallic holographic TANGK logo on the front, the great looking vinyl, the large booklet insert, and the Love Is The Fing sticker on the front. There is also a sticker that is stuck over the opening for the record, and I had to carefully peel that off to get into the gatefold cover, which was a bit of a pain in the ass, but was a unique touch. Well done all around.

No comments: