Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Sometimes I'm Happy

I've always been a bit fascinated with these unofficial releases. Hell, I remember as a kid going into a record store in Portland that had a section of live bootleg cassettes for sale, and as I'd grown up in a time of FBI warnings around illegal recordings of movies and live concerts, I was certain that I was going to be arrested as a part of some sting operation when I bought one. Bootleg records felt dangerous, and I'm sure that fueled my fascination with them.

A couple of years back I was buying a lot of live boots, but I got to a point last year where I made a conscious decision to ease up and put that money towards records that were more important. A year had passed since I'd bought my last one, and that itch came back, so I started looking around at what was easily available.

This Black Sabbath bootleg is from a series of three shows that the band did in Italy in February of 1973. This double LP captures the full live set from their Bologna date, and it sounds fantastic. Recorded on their tour for Vol. 4, we get a bunch of songs from that album, plus an early recording of Killing Yourself To Live that Sabbath would include on their next album, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath... plus the song Sometimes I'm Happy, which will end up being torn apart and pieces will show up in Symptom Of The Universe a couple of years later. Overall, a very cool setlist.
The packaging for this is well done with the Vol. 4 layout, but with Geezer on the front cover and Ozzy on the back. Looking good!

No comments: