Sunday, January 03, 2021

Where Snipers Come From

I spent the majority of my hardcore years kind of ambivalent about Naked Raygun. I thought a couple of their songs were good, but I would lose interest if I tried to spin a full album. It wasn't until I was in my 40's that it finally clicked. Naked Raygun didn't fit the standard blueprint for hardcore punk music as I knew it. They were doing their own thing, and unfortunately it took me way too long to finally understand it.
I spent a lot of time during the last couple months of 2020 listening to Naked Raygun. I'm not sure what it was exactly. Trump lost the election, and even though his fanatic fanbase is still a concern, it still felt a rock had been lifted off my chest and I could breathe again. It felt like it was time to celebrate...and the Naked Raygun albums just fit that mood perfectly. I listened to them daily...over and over again.
As much as I love Naked Raygun, Throb Throb was the only record that I actually owned from them. As I was going through my obsession over their albums, I found a copy of Understand available for a good price on Discogs and quickly added it to my cart. One of my favorites from the band.

2 comments:

mcs said...

I had a friend who was into this band in about 1991 but I didn't get it. Tried 'Throb Throb' again a couple of years back & wasn't into it. But seeing this made me want to try again as I have a distinct memory of this record cover, and after one listen to this record I was quite into it.

Mike said...

Oh man. This record is infectious. With repeat listens you will be hooked for sure!