Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Hallows AFI

Some people really love AFI, but I've always kind of been lukewarm on the band. I enjoy some of their stuff, but I've never really taken to them the way some people have. I tuned into them sporadically in the late 90's when tough guy shit started to take over the hardcore scene, but the band never hooked me the way that bands like Good Riddance and Bouncing Souls did at the time. I still have downloads for the early AFI stuff, and when I was going through my playlist for records that came out in the year 2000, I queued up their Art Of Drowning album, and surprisingly I was digging it. As I usually do when I'm listening to something that I'm enjoying at the time, I immediately started checking out vinyl options.
I seemed to remember at some point that Newbury Comics might have done some exclusive pressing for some AFI stuff, so my first move was to check out their online store. Surprisingly the 2019 Newbury pressing for The Art Of Drowning was already sold out, and listed on Discogs for stupid prices. Having missed out on taht one, I happened to notice a colored vinyl option for the All Hallows EP was available through Newbury Comics, and given the cheap price for the 10 inch, I figured "what the hell" and bought it.
While it was sold by Newbury Comics, I don't think it is one of their exclusive pressings. Either way, this is a cool little EP...with three original songs and a great Misfits cover. It is just long enough to keep me entertained, and not get bored with the style. Good stuff when I want to listen to something a little different.

2 comments:

mcs said...

Fun fact - I have never ever heard so much as a single song by this band. The record artwork or photos of the band themselves always put me off giving them a go.

Mike said...

Perfectly understandable on both counts.