Saturday, November 14, 2020

Doors Stripped

With the global pandemic causing events to cancel all year, Record Store Day tried to adapt and moved to a phased approach for their releases...basically spreading RSD over a three or four different weekends in an attempt to limit crowds, or something like that. Whatever. It was of little consequence to me as there were only a couple of records that I was interested in. I'd picked up the latest Dio picture disk single without any trouble, and was hoping for more of the same when it came to the release from The Doors a few weeks later.
I'm a huge fan of The Doors and when I heard the details around their latest RSD release, I immediately knew that I was going to have to get my hands on it. The record is called The Soft Parade / Stripped and is basically their Soft Parade album without any of the horns and orchestration, and it is just stripped down to a more raw version with only the band playing thier instruments. At the time I purchased it, I was under the impression that the record contained the entire Soft Parade album, but once I received it and paid attention to the track list, I can see that there are really only four songs from the album that appear here in the "Doors Only" recording...with three of those songs appearing a second time on the b-side with Robby Krieger guitar overdubs (which sound fucking cool, if you ask me).
I've seen some complaints from people about the minimal packaging for this record, with only the vellum paper "cover" stuffed into a PVC sleeve, but I think it fits the "stripped" theme of the release... also, that crystal clear vinyl looks amazing... of course the first thing I did was get the record into a proper dust sleeve to keep the PVC one from damaging it (thanks for the pro-tip, Marcus). Ridiculously listed as "limited" to 12,000 copies.

No comments: