Friday, July 27, 2018

Seven Inch High

Five years ago, Painkiller released the Get High demos to vinyl. That shit hooked me as soon as I'd heard the first song, and I listened to that record repeatedly that year.

Shortly after that Painkiller release, I discovered that the band had also released a 7 inch back in 2000 that I'd never heard before. I repeatedly searched soulseek, in an attempt to find and listen to those songs. Soulseek very rarely lets me down, but in this case, it failed to deliver. It seemed that the only way I was going to be able to check out these songs was to just take the chance and buy the record. I hit up Discogs, only to find that there weren't any available, and one hadn't been sold through the marketplace in the last three years. Fuck. I threw it on my Discogs Want List, and had to wait.

About a year later, I finally got the notification that someone had a copy of the 7 inch for sale, and I jumped on it...notching the highest price the record had seen on the site...at a staggering $5.

Even though I was damn excited to get my hands on this, I will say that it does not live up to the expectations set by that demo LP from Painkiller. These songs are still pretty cool, and have the full spirit of a Hardcore band not interested in sounding like anyone else, and just doing their own thing. Still good, even though it was released in 2000, the sound sits firmly in the mid-90's.

No comments: