Tuesday, May 15, 2018

RSD 2018 - Part 3: Missing Link [The 90's]

The final piece of vinyl from my Record Store Day shopping spree. I certainly didn't expect to find some Fu Manchu vinyl in the used record bins, but as soon as I saw it, I grabbed it without even bothering to check the price tag. It was going to be mine.

[1996] I first heard Fu Manchu about five years ago on Doug's recommendation. I loved what I heard and went on a frenzy, downloading around six of their albums. It was a bit too much, too fast, and I really only stuck with their amazing run of three albums, The Action Is Go, King Of The Road, and California Crossing...everything else was background noise. Seeing In Search Of... in the used bins made me think that it was time to really dig into this one. It was released just before The Action Is Go, so I figured that there had to be some solid stoner grooves hidden in here, and I grabbed the vinyl.

Oh hell yes. This record is full of those fuzzed out riffs! In Search Of... easily stands side by side with what I consider to be Fu Manchu's big three. Awesome album.

I love the iron-on transfer that came with this UK pressing. You don't know how badly I want to use this on a t-shirt...but I can't do it...it came with the record, so it stays with the record.

When I cashed out at the counter, I was a bit stung when I saw the $30 price tag on this record. I checked discogs when I got home, and see that it usually goes for around $70, so I'll count it as a win.

No comments: