Saturday, June 22, 2013

God Complex

When I first heard Black God last year, I was figued that I would be quite content with one copy for each of their records. I don't need to collect every pressing for every band that I listen to. I only need to collect those bands that I truly connect with...those bands that excite and move me. While I really liked the two Black God records, I didn't really consider them collectable. At least that's what I told myself.

When I placed records I and II, that I owned, next to each other, I loved how they looked. That pink and burgundy just looked amazing together. I started checking the pressing info on No Idea's discography page, and when I saw the five colors listed for II, it got me wondering how they would all look as a full collection. Shit. I think we can all see where this is headed.

My first stop was the local record store. I remember seeing a copy there a year or so ago, and I felt pretty confident that Black God didn't have a big following in Portland, Maine...so I went hunting for it. As a bonus, the record was now on sale for 50% off. Sweet deal.

No Idea doesn't have a lot of info on the pressing for the first record. I assume this is part of the second pressing, listed as the "dark green mix". Limited to 175.

I've never used the No Idea mailorder, but I was desperate for more Black God colored vinyl. I fired off an email to their mailorder crew to find out what they had available for the second record. They were great to deal with and quickly got me the details and I placed my order.

300 were pressed on green/brown mix, and Matt from No Idea included a note to let me know even though this copy was more brown than green, this was the one that I wanted. Of course now I'm wondering how this one might compare to one that has more green than brown.

200 were pressed on clear vinyl.

eBay doesn't seem to see a lot of Black God action. I was looking to build this collection as big as I could for this post, but the only other pressing that I could find was this grey vinyl pressing of the first record.

Six records in for a couple of records that I wasn't going to collect. How does this happen? I can't wait to see where this goes from here.

1 comment:

mcs said...

Ha! Brilliant! The funniest thing is that, even though I have no intention of owning more than one copy of each, the photos kinda make me want to order more copies. Christ!