Sunday, June 03, 2012

Not Record Store Day 2012

I was a little confused when Revelation announced their vinyl reissues for Record Store Day this year. It took me a few weeks to realize that there were two different colors...one specifically for Record Store Day, and then a different color for the REVHQ store. I got so caught up in all the excitement, that I made sure that I got one of everything.

The best thing about these reissues is how much it has pushed these bands back into view. Ever since buying the Keep My Soul Awake 7 inch from Al Quint at Rockit Records along Route 1 on the way to Boston, I've been a fan of Farside. I've never set out to collect their vinyl, but having three copies of Rigged on my shelf makes me think I want to take a stab at it.

If you had told me back in 1991 that someday I'd own three copies of the self titled Into Another record, I would have laughed at how absurd it sounded. First of all, I didn't understand the point of collecting vinyl back in the early 90's, and second I thought that the Into Another LP sucked. How the times have changed...I can't listen to this album enough these days.

I've always loved the first couple Ignite records. Call On My Brothers and Past Our Means blew me away in the late 90's, and I'm scratching my head as to why I've never sought out the vinyl until now.

I was happy to pick up the RSD pressing of the Sensefield LP (wait, is it Sensefield or Sense Field, I've never known)...I'd never owned it on vinyl, and I was glad to add it to my collection. After ordering the regular color vinyl pressing from REV, I was scratching my head as to what the point was in buying another copy. I like a couple of the Sensefield records, but I will never care enough to actively collect them. So why did I feel the need to buy two pressings? Sometimes even I can't figure out the answer to these things.

After pulling out the Record Store Day pressings to compare and take a picture of them next to the regular colored vinyl pressing, I suddenly felt happy that I picked up that Sensefield record after all. While I may not actively seek out all the vinyl from each of these four bands, it gave me a good feeling to see this complete 2012 collection.

5 comments:

J@screamingforrecords said...

I didn't realise there was two different sets of colours. They all look awesome together

Across Your Face said...

Let's say you didn't buy the Sense field.. You would have gone to take that picture, realized you had to have it, then put in another order and had to pay more shipping. This record collecting stuff is a cold game isn't it?

Across Your Face said...

Also, that Ignite on red is really calling me..... BUT I'll probably have to pass, because then I'll feel the need to order the other 3 as well :(

mcs said...

I wonder who decided the colors for these things? I mean, Sense Field on green? Why? Surely white would have gone better with the artwork (given we already had purple & orange). And why Farside on red?

They all look great though.

Next stop, In My Eyes & Youth Of Today, right?

J@screamingforrecords said...

You're right about the colours Marcus