Friday, March 23, 2007

Higher Learning

Another piece of my order from Revelation Records...Down To Nothing, the Higher Learning 7 inch. This one is the second press on green vinyl. I'm not sure how many were pressed. This one was out for a while before I finally bought the record, and now I'm wishing that I bought it earlier. These three songs are so good, with one of them being a great Four Walls Falling cover. It took me a long time before I finally checked this band out. They were on Thorp Records, and I kind of had that label pegged as a tough guy, metalcore record label, and so I avoided them. I think the thing that pushed me to check them out was when Rob and I went to Posi Numbers 05. They were on the bill, and I downloaded Save It For The Birds to prepare for the show. The album was really good, but didn't really stick with me. They had a good set, and did a great cover of No Spiritual Surrender. I caught them in Maine with Have Heart on the Fourth of July last year, and realized that they were a straight edge band when I saw them all X'd up. Okay, call me biased, or close minded or whatever, but once I saw they were straight edge I became more interested in the band. I bought the Splitting Headache CD at the show but it didn't really do much for me. Save It For The Birds, however, really grew on me, and if this new 7 inch is any indication of how their new album is going to be, I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

I think this is their best material to date. Save It For The Birds was good, but this sort of buils off of that. It's a nice progression.

I need to see this band live.