Friday, December 13, 2013

I Am Iron Man

I'm still working to clean up the backlog of new releases before the year's end. It seemed like a natural choice to follow up a Black Sabbath post with one from a band named Iron Man, so let's go with it.

Rise Above rarely disappoints, and when they announce a band that I've never heard before, I make sure to check them out. Iron Man have been around since the late 80's/early 90's, and released four albums and a few EPs...but somehow I've never even heard of this band until now. When Rise Above announced they were going to be putting up preorders for the new album, South Of The Earth, I hunted down a video from the band to see if it was going to be something that I'd be interested in. After I got a taste, and didn't hesitate to order.

I'm surprised at how much I'm liking this album. I can't get enough of it, and have to give it a spin every couple of days. Come on, with a name of Iron Man, you know there is going to be a huge Sabbath influence. Great doom metal.

100 pressed on clear vinyl, with a nice looking etching on Side D.

Of course, when I ordered from Rise Above, I couldn't settle on just the regular press...nope, I had to go with the limited Die Hard edition. The Die Hard pressing comes with a bonus 7 inch and a patch. I'm not going to do anything with the patch, but they are still cool additions to the packaging.

As I was checking out the back of the 7 inch, I noticed that the live song was recorded not far from where I live. Trust me, if Iron Man plays Portland again, you can bet that I'll be there.

No comments: