Thursday, January 03, 2008

Picture Perfect Ending

As 2007 drew to a close, I had one more $20 gift card at Newbury Comics to spend and I wasn't about to let it see the beginning of the new year. The last time I was in the store blowing a major part of my gift card load, I stumbled upon this picture disc of Overkill's newest album, Immortalis. I had set it back on the rack in between all the other vinyl, and after I left the store I knew that I needed to make a trip back in a couple of days to pick it up. I had originally put it back because I tend to really hate the picture disc format...they typically sound like crap, and the plain plastic sleeve kills it for me when it comes to packaging. Three things changed my mind on this one. First, the cover art for this album absolutely destroys. Overkill has released a lot of albums, and Immortalis sports the sickest artwork of them all. Secondly, in reading Martin Popoff's book on the Price Guide for Heavy Metal Records, I came to realize that picture discs tend to increase in more value over the regularly pressed vinyl. I finally understood that they are a collector's item. Lastly, and more importantly, this is hand numbered limited edition...mine is number 568 of 1,200. Fuck it, I was sold.
Funny thing about buying this record. I was reminded of being a kid and heading into the record stores at the mall, and feeling the need to buy albums when I saw them, because when I came back the next week, there was a good chance they would be gone forever. Living in Maine, which is not know for being progressive on the musical front, the record stores would typically get only one copy, if any, of the more underground metal albums. If someone bought it before you did, you lost. After I left Newbury Comics last week, that feeling hit me again. I thought that I'd made a mistake and next trip back, the Overkill album would be gone. When I went back, I started flipping through the 'O' section of vinyl, and wouldn't you know it, it wasn't there. My heart sank. Fuck. I knew it! I missed out. Then I realized, that in my rush to find the record I was flipping through the Hip Hop section in error. Phew! I stepped over two rows to the Rock section and there it was, just as I'd left it, like it was waiting for my return.

No comments: