Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Xmas Haul Part 1: 3 Hits From Hell

My family is good to me. They know that I obsess about music and my record collection, and when I fill my Christmas wish list only with albums that I want, they are happy to oblige and hit the local record stores for me.

Since the thought of trying to cram all the vinyl that I got for Christmas into one post is overwhelming, I'm going to break it out into three parts. First up is the trio of Misfits vinyl. I love The Misfits, but I'm not going to spend a load of money on them, so I'm content to just pick up the common pressings that you can find in any record store.

Now I typically have very little interest in live albums, but damn, the Evilive EP blows me away. I feel like it really captures the intensity and raw energy of the Misfits live set from 1982. It really has the spark that a lot of live albums are missing. Man, I just love how Glenn counts down practically every song with a "1, 2, 3, 4!", and when they say they have to tune up because they "pound their guitars like fuckin' jackhammers", you know they mean it.

Most bands tend to soften with age. The Misfits are the exception and their first recordings, which became the Static Age album, have a more punky vibe. I've owned Legacy Of Brutality, which basically contains the Static Age songs with the bass and guitar rerecorded, with since I was a teenager, but this is the first time that I've heard these versions of the songs.

Pick a favorite Misfits album. I'm not sure if I would go with Earth A.D. or Walk Among Us...it's like trying to pick between Break Down The Walls or We're Not In This Alone from Youth of Today. Damn near impossible.

No comments: