Friday, November 20, 2009

On A Mission

I believe that I've mentioned in a previous post, I used to download a ton of music. Over the years I've amassed over 800 burned CDs in my music collection. It didn't bother me that the band would never get paid from my download of their album, because for the most part, the stuff I was downloading was music that I probably wasn't going to buy anyway. Typically this consisted only of Metal and Hip Hop, but occasionally I would download some hardcore bands to check them out and then just never get around to picking them up. Well, in the past 5 years or so, my thinking started to change. I noticed that I had really fallen back in love with Metal and I started actively searching out vinyl or CD to replace those burned copies. On the other hand, most of the Hip Hop that I had acquired had really gotten stale and boring to my ears, and I just started dumping some of it. I noticed the other day that I had some hardcore albums from the past few years that I still had on a CDR, and I needed to purchase them. I headed to REV.HQ and picked up CDs from Risky Business and Hour of the Wolf, but for Capital, I wanted it on vinyl.
Homefront is such an amazing album. I can't believe that it has taken me this long to finally pick up a copy (gold vinyl is limited to 332). I used to love Silent Majority, and since Capital has the same singer, the comparisons are obvious. Silent Majority songs have this fantastic story telling quality, and that carries over to Capital as well. With On A Mission, the singer tell us of heading out with some friends 17 years ago, and discovering the The Way It Is LP at some record store, and about how life changing it was. It will strike a familiar chord with many of us "older" guys, and it just captures the moment perfectly.

Revelation also had Capital's newest 7 inch, Blind Faith, so I picked up a copy of that as well (red vinyl is limited to 300). Man, this band continues to amaze me. Two new songs, plus a Dag Nasty cover.

2 comments:

mcs said...

Good post! Reminds me I ordered that 7" about two months ago. I need to chase it...

Onno said...

Homefront probably is the greatest hc record of the last couple of years. Simply amazing!