Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Getting Aggressive

Man, I have been slacking off on keeping this thing updated and the vinyl is starting to stack up around my computer.
Pre-order season has arrived. Tons of great new records coming out over the next few months and one of the first to arrive was the new Verse album, Aggression. I love that record labels are now starting to provide digital downloads when you buy vinyl. Save me the hassle of searching Soulseek for mp3's if I'm not buying a CD copy in addition to the vinyl, and in the case of Aggression, Rivalry Records had the digital download available as soon as the pre-orders went up, so I was able to listen to the album as soon as I bought it online. The album is really good, and the more I listen to it, the more I like it. The band had their record release show on the same day that I had tickets to go see Iron Maiden with Jeff, so I had to miss out on that show and any record release merch that the band may have had. To make up for it though, it appears that I may have received one of the rarest pieces of vinyl pressed for this record.

When I received my order from Rivalry, I was confused by the black and clear/yellow split vinyl. The website only listed a black and clear split for pre-orders. I emailed the record label and Kyle, who runs it, wrote me back saying that he had never seen one that had the yellow/orange mixed in with the clear. He said that he likes to have one of every pressing, especially those that are unique, and offered me a "really good trade or money" to take it off my hands. I politely declined, but did make him the promise that if I ever was looking to get rid of it, that I would come to him first. Holy shit, I may have a one of a kind Verse pressing! Only the true record geeks would understand how exciting that is. I tried to explain it to my wife, and she called me retarded since I didn't sell it back to Kyle. In her eyes, it made sense to dump one since I already had another copy. Apparently she hasn't seen the 8 different pressings of Promises Kept that I have in collection...yeah, she would have a field day with that one.

The other Verse records that are new to the collection include the grey and white swirl of the LP, limited to 525. I also got the two pressings of the Story of a Free Man single that Bridge Nine Records released...red vinyl was limited to 700, and the clear vinyl I'm not sure, but may be limited to 500.

2 comments:

xroldx said...

Mike you might have The Chung King record if this era in your hands only more limited. Better build a safe deposit box in your vinylroom.

I hopefully have an interview with Verse online by august.

Tyler said...

Man, that's awesome, i bet you feel better now after seeing me got those friend presses. I'm going to review Aggression tonight hopefully, I'm really liking it.