Monday, February 20, 2006

The Soft Parade

If you had told me years ago that someday I would own a record by The Doors, I would have laughed. I grew up on Heavy Metal and Punk Rock, no way would I listen to something as "mainstream" as The Doors. My oh my, the times have changed. Something happened over the past couple of years, and while I haven't lost any love for the squealing guitars of Metal, or the attitude of Punk, I have found an appreciation of straight-up Rock n Roll. A while ago, my friend, Rob, introduced me to The Doors In Concert CD, telling me that I needed to hear the guitar during the first song, "Who Do You Love". I was blown away by that song...such energy and passion. Months later, I was flipping through my Aunt's record collection, trying to see if there was anything worth having, and I came across The Soft Parade by The Doors. How could anything titled "The Soft Parade" have enough Rock to keep my interest? Weak album title...I put it back. A few months went by and I find myself hanging out with my friend, Jeff...flipping through his record collection...and we come across The Doors. Now Jeff has always impressed me with his knowledge of Rock, so I figure that I need to give The Soft Parade a decent shot. After pulling the album from my Aunt's collection and dusting it off, I give it a listen. I'm not blown away, but this is a solid album, and the fact that it has a place in my collection is impressive.

No comments: