Monday, March 19, 2012

Choice Of Green

There are some albums that I listened to so much as a kid, that I rarely give them a spin nowadays. Albums that were so good, that I listened to them over and over again...until the magic had worn off. Screaming For Change was one of those albums. As a 20 year old, just discovering Straight Edge Hardcore around 1990, this record spoke to me. "If drinking's what it takes to be accepted, I'd rather stay aware and be rejected". Sure, I was digging Slapshot at the time, and I loved the anger in their message, but I wasn't going to fool anyone...I wasn't hard...I wasn't tough like those guys. Bands like UC and Insted were more my style.

I can't even begin to imagine how many times I listen to this record in those days (and by record, I mean CD). But you know, sitting here now, 20 years later, I can't remember the last time I listened to this. Thankfully, Wishingwell Records reissued Screaming For Change for 2012 and gave me a great excuse to revisit this album and remind me how great it really is.

I had originally heard of this reissue from Lins. As I mentioned earlier, I only owned it on CD, so I was stoked to pick up a copy on colored vinyl that didn't cost me a few hundred dollars. Lins had posted about a clear green copy, but soon I was hearing about a second green vinyl pressing...this one was a guacamole green. I finally got around to placing an order with REV, and discovered that I got the "ugly" green copy.

I still desperately wanted the clear green vinyl, so I rolled the dice and placed another order with REV. Luckily, I received the copy that I wanted.

Of course this pressing looks an awful lot like one of the original pressings. A few people have done all the comparisons as to how to tell the two apart, so I won't go into it here. I'm just happy to finally have this in my record collection.

4 comments:

mcs said...

That ugly green one doesn't even look green. It looks more like a yellowy brown.

Lins87 said...

Now all you need is that test press on ebay!!!

Across Your Face said...

personally i'm all about that guacamole green, looks awesome!

Across Your Face said...

I used your picture on one of my posts I hope you don't mind!

http://acrossyourface.blogspot.com/2012/04/screaming-for-guacamole.html