Saturday, October 12, 2013

Razors Never Die

I've heard the name Monsula thrown around since the early 90's. I remember getting a copy of No Answers #9 because of the Judge interview in there. On the front of the zine, was an essay that started out with "I hate drugs, I hate alcohol, I hate cigarettes, I hate the users, and I hate the manufacturers.". I loved it and read it from cover to cover, over and over again...absorbing every word that Kent McClard said. That one zine, and his Ebullition By-Product distro, blew the doors open for my introduction to the Hardcore/Punk scene. If he gave a positive review for a record, or had a picture of a band in his zine, I was sure to check them out.

One band that I never got around to was Monsula. He gave a great review for their Nickle EP in No Answers #9, and a cool looking photo of the singer tearing into the mic...yet, for one reason or another I never had the chance to check them out.

Back in May, Pim from Said and Done, posted the video for the Monsula song Razors on his Facebook page. I'd long forgotten the name Monsula, but seeing Pim's post had me interested and after over 20 years, I finally decided to check it out.

Wow. I couldn't believe how great they were. I played that youtube video for the Nickle EP a couple of times, and I was suddenly desperate to own a copy. I frantically searched eBay for a copy of the EP on red vinyl. Weeks turned to months, but by August I finally scored one for $8.50.

Here we are five months later and I am absolutely in love with this 7 inch. I can't listen to it without feeling the need to turn up the volume and sing along. Definitely my find of the year.

4 comments:

Pim said...

Glad to see my post helped someone check out that band :) Such a great 7".

Thanks to this post I'll probably have it on repeat again today (the YouTube video that is).

Mike said...

I believe that the Some Ideas Are Poisonous tag came from his idea that a belief such as Straight Edge separates you from everyday society, and brands you as some kind of freak. It was kind of a stance that straight edge will fuck you up from living a "normal life", and not an attack on the ideal itself. Granted, there was a bit of elitism with the Ebullition crowd as the years went on, and after a while I got tired of the rhetoric because it just felt like you had to be "on" 24 hours a day 7 days a week...and you weren't allowed to just relax. Plus the music completely sucked by the mid-90's, and I stopped paying attention to what the crowd was doing.

mcs said...

I have this 7" on red too. Haven't heard it in years. This post made me want to dig it out again...

chris said...

Amazing 7". I also had to dig mine out to give it a listen.