Monday, February 14, 2011

Stick It

Stick Together play Straight Edge Hardcore. It is a simple formula, and one that never gets overplayed for me. Seriously, as long as new bands putting out records in this style, I'll keep buying them. Stick Together play with passion and conviction, and of the newer bands playing this kind of Hardcore, they are one of the best.

Back To Back Records, who put out the great Disengage 7 inch last year, released the US pressing of the new Stick Together record. I was so stoked on this release, as soon as pre-orders went up, I was placing my order. Even though I submitted my order minutes after they were available, I still managed to miss out on the limited orange colored vinyl pressing. Instead I got two copies on white vinyl (300 pressed), plus one on black (600 pressed).

Turns out, Back To Back somehow missed the orange vinyl when they were packing orders, and sent everyone white vinyl instead. I don't know how you could not notice you were missing the most limited colored vinyl when you were packing orders. Crazy.

Control Records handled the Euro pressing for Stick Together. They went with a different color band logo, and slightly cropped the photo used for the cover. Since I was at the show the cover photo was taken at, I'm a little bummed that I didn't get into the shot.

I love the limited amount of vinyl that Control presses for each release. 400 total. 100 on blue, and 300 on black for Stick Together.

The final piece of vinyl for this Stick Together post is the Winter Tour press. Stick Together was touring with Naysayer and Dead End Path, and surprisingly played a gig north of Boston with Cruel Hand. I was excited to check out the show, but I wasn't expecting too much action. I typically leave my glasses in the car for hardcore shows...my eyesight isn't THAT bad, so I usually go without, and I can get get up front and not have to worry about them getting knocked off. Stick Together in Portland, Maine...yeah, I figured that I'd be the only one up front to see them. To my surprise, just before the band played I started seeing quite a few familiar faces from the Boston scene, and there was more than a handful of people at the front of the stage for Stick Together...and things really got moving for their cover of SSD's Glue. I was a little cautious, but it was still a good time.

I decided to press my luck and stayed down near the front for Cruel Hand's set. Man, there was so much energy in the room as Cruel Hand blasted through their set. Being down front with my glasses on, suddenly had me worried. The dance floor kept spilling into the crowd and coming dangerously close to the big glass windows. A chair got thrown, and it felt like the room could explode at any minute...and then just before things boiled over, the Cruel Hand set was over. Intense. My glasses were safe, and I realized that I'm a big nerd.

But at least I was a nerd with glasses and a tour press of the new Stick Together record.

2 comments:

Glued To The Genre said...

Do you want to trade for your white copy?

Dan Emery said...

I went to that Cruel Hand show too. it ruled!