Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Somewhere Back In Time

One of my first concerts was to see Iron Maiden on tour for the Powerslave tour. It set a standard on stage shows for all other Heavy Metal bands to follow, and for very few to ever meet. When Maiden decided to tour last year, only doing songs from their "glory days", which includes their albums up through the Seventh Son LP, Jeff and I made sure that we got our tickets to see them for the Massachusetts show. The show was an amazing one, exceeding my expectations. It was no surprise when Iron Maiden released a live album to document the tour, and it was probably no surprise to anyone that knows me that I ended up picking up a copy in every format that was released. On release day I bought the CD, then Rob ended up buying me the DVD for my birthday, and for the final piece of the puzzle, I bought the picture disc double LP with the last of the birthday money I had received from my family.
I am typically not a fan of the picture disc, but come on, there is no denying that this looks amazing. Nice, heavy dust sleeves that are loaded up with full color pictures from the tour to accompany the vinyl. All in all, great packaging, complete with a nice looking gatefold sleeve.

1 comment:

mcs said...

i hate picture discs as a rule, but part of that is because it seems to me that picture discs seem to be an excuse to not make a sleeve. But the fact that these come in dust sleeves and a gatefold sleeve makes them acceptable!

I've got a friend who I have known for years but lost contact with until about a year and a half ago. I bumped into him at an Integrity show in London. Asked him what he did for a job these days & he told me he works for Iron Maiden doing their lighting. Flies on tour with them in their plane and everything. Not a bad job eh?