Sunday, July 26, 2009

Time To Start Trying

I've always loved Fastbreak. I remember ordering their Youth Pride demo tape when it was first released back in 1994. Containing ex-members of Cornerstone, I had high hopes for this new straight edge hardcore band of the time. They did not disappoint. It's a shame that their demo never made it to a vinyl pressing. The kept going strong with the Don't Stop Trying 7 inch. By the time they did their split with Ten Yard Fight, I was starting to hear from some people that the band was starting to head in a less hardcore direction, and the band was refusing to do their Youth Pride anthem live. I got the split and the follow up Fast Cars, but as far as I was concerned, the band was still full-on hardcore. By the time Whenever You're Ready was released you could really hear the more melodic influences in their music, but it didn't matter to me, everything Fastbreak released was perfection. Man, they were a great band. I'm not sure why I haven't made a conscious effort to start collecting their records, but it's something that's been on my mind for a while now. When I won a copy of Don't Stop Trying with the green cover on eBay for $0.99, I figured that it might be a good time to get things moving.

1 comment:

Onno said...

Awesome band, your post reminds me to slap myself for not listening to them lately ;-)