Wednesday, February 16, 2011

5 Years of Getting the Most

Five years ago today, I made my first blog post. What started out as something to just burn time on my record collecting obsession, only served to fuel my addiction. When I started this blog back in 2006, I didn't know of anyone else doing this kind of thing. To my surprise, over the years, I stumbled upon a few other record collecting blogs. Most of them came and went so fast that I've lost track of them all, but meeting Lins and Marcus back in 2008 through their record collecting blogs made a lasting impression on me. I may have started my blog before them, but they started collecting records long before I did. Through their posts, I fell deeper in love with vinyl, but it also highlighted the fact that I'm missing some classic records in my collection. Soon, my post counts were climbing and I was ordering more and more records. I was late to this game, and I had some serious holes to fill...and I expect that it will take me another five years to make any kind of dent in filling those holes.

So for this anniversary post, I wanted it to be something special...something big. A statement record. What better statement than a test press. I've never really set out to collect test presses, but after picking up a few of them this past year, I've come to really appreciate them...and with my obsession for all things REACT!, I figured that it was time to own one from the label.

A while back, Aram was selling some REACT stuff on ebay to help fund future releases. I was stoked to win the test press for one of my favorite releases from last year, the new Get The Most LP.

Limited to 24, the test presses are packaged in a kind of DJ record sleeve with stamped a and b-side labels.

Keeping with the DJ theme, it has a cool sticker for the cover of the test press. Fresh for 2010, you suckas!

3 comments:

mcs said...

Wow, this is great! I love this LP now (didn't so much when it first came out) and the test is packaged really nicely. Good work! Although, you know how it is - once you start going after tests you're ont he slippery slope to bankrupty!!!

Also, happy birthday to your blog. Pretty amazing that you've been going for 5 years. Makes me feel like a total amateur.

Wade said...

great post. i need to update my blog, im so far behind with this move and everything going on.

geoff said...

congrats on 5 years. very impressive. and thank you for keeping up with it. its been fun to read this over the years.