Saturday, May 23, 2009

Trade Winds

I'm always uncomfortable when it comes to making an offer to buy a record off another collector. The situation doesn't present itself very often, but when it does, I'm paranoid that I'm going to make an offer that ends up being too low and insulting...therefore, I feel that I overcompensate and end up offering more than I need to. I've done it in the past when making offers to Aram. When I was buying some SSS records from Foxy, I did the same thing. After making a couple of purchases from Foxy and offering more than fair prices, I was presented with the opportunity to buy the Walton's package of the first SSS LP. This time I decided to make an offer on the conservative side. I can only assume that Foxy took it as a joke, since he never even bothered to reply. So it was with great trepidation that I approached a trade idea from Marcus. In the end it all worked out, and I was able to add a couple of incredible records to my collection.

I don't really collect Rain on the Parade records, but I'm thinking that I'd like to start at some point. Marcus, you may have just lit the fuse. The band's Full Speed Ahead 7 inch is amazing. Prior to this red vinyl copy, I only had the black vinyl pressing with the blue cover. I picked up that copy at the one and only time I caught the band live.

Other than the tracks on the Where The Wild Things Are comp LP, I've never really heard Outburst before. Marcus was offering a blue vinyl pressing of their Miles To Go 7 inch, so I figured that I'd check 'em out. Meh, they are okay I guess, but nothing too exciting.

One of the gems that Marcus had up for the trade was a copy of the Chorus of Disapproval 7 inch on purple vinyl. Released on Nemesis Records, I only had this on black vinyl, and ever since I saw Lins post some Chorus colored vinyl on his blog, I really wanted some myself.


Another band that I don't really collect is Absolution. I bought the black vinyl pressing of their 7 inch years and years ago from this mail order distro that sold some rare records. It was where I bought my Side by Side, Wide Awake and some Chain of Strength vinyl back in the early 90's. The guy that ran the distro assured me that the black vinyl was the rare pressing for Absolution. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but since I wasn't really collecting records at the time, I can't imagine that it was much more than $15. Cool record, and I figured that I'd add the red vinyl pressing to my collection as well.

Back in the day, I worshipped New Age Records, but somehow I managed to never check out Walk Proud. This record was not part of the trade deal with Marcus, but he threw it in for me anyway. Lyrically this can be a little painful, but overall it is some decent generic hardcore. I'm glad that I now have a copy of this, especially since this was the starting point of New Age.

Another bonus 7 inch that Marcus threw into the trade was the Search and Destroy 7 inch that he released on Endless Quest Records. The packaging on this is excellent. The front and back cover feature some very cool and original artwork. There was only 100 red vinyl with the yellow dust sleeve, but Marcus went and hand numbered all 483 records that he pressed. Mine is number 60. Awesome job....total quality.

I don't think that anyone really cares about Face Value anymore...did anyone really care about them back when they were putting out records? I remember seeing them at some point in the mid-90's...maybe opening up for Econochrist and Rorschach, in the basement of some church in Cambridge. The whole PC scene was really coming to a head, and Face Value certainly didn't fit in with the crowd at this show, and watching from the crowd I wasn't impressed at the time either. I'm older, wiser and less sensitive than I used to be, and can now appreciate Face Value for the hardcore band that they were. Plus the colored vinyl on this thing looks amazing.


In addition to the Chorus 7 inch, the other record that I was really excited for was Undertow's At Both Ends LP on blue vinyl. This album destroys most everything else from that time in Hardcore's history, and even though I've never actively searched it out, I'm happy to finally have copy of this on vinyl. Extremely powerful and passionate.

Thanks again, Marcus...for everything.

2 comments:

Carlos said...

great scores!.. I need that undertow and chorus color vinyls!!!!, also I´ve never saw those marble, mix color in a conversion records releases.. thats is really rare for me.

mcs said...

Glad it got there ok & you are happy. By the way, your photos of these somehow look better than mine!