Friday, April 20, 2018

They Played Rock And Roll

Back in 2011, I was still going nuts over hardcore records, but metal was really starting to worm it's way into my brain. Prior to that, I had been content to buy metal releases on CD because it was cheap and convenient...but in 2011, I began to really shift my focus, and started buying the majority of new metal albums on vinyl. That was the year that I bought my first Saxon new release, Call To Arms, on vinyl, and since then, I haven't missed a single one.

Thunderbolt is Saxon's 22nd studio album. Twenty two! How many bands can compete with that level of output? Frontman, Biff Byford, is 67 years old, and the band is still raging. By now, Saxon fall into that same mold as Motorhead and AC/DC...the band has a sound, and they do not stray far from that...and speaking of Motorhead, Saxon's new song, They Played Rock N Roll, is a great tribute to Lemmy and the band.

So yeah, you know what to expect with a new Saxon album, and while it isn't going to blow me away, I'm still happy to see them still writing solid Heavy Metal songs.

No comments: