Thursday, September 26, 2013

Feeling Nervous

When I first started collecting records, around 2005, I used to obsess over Bridge Nine releases. I would check their discography webpage daily, and just study that history. I made up a checklist of those records that I wanted, and my aim was to collect every one of them. Then there came a string of releases that I just didn't give a shit about...Death Before Dishonor, Crime In Stereo, Ambitions, Energy, New Found Glory...I hated the direction they were going in, and I bailed. Every once in a while, the label would release a Cruel Hand or Ceremony record to remind me that they were still around, but for the most part, I'd stopped caring.

It has been a couple of years since I've been really excited about a new Bridge Nine release, but this Nervous Impulse 12 inch has certainly grabbed my attention. This record has a ton of spastic early 80's punk energy. The vocals are a bit odd, which is just a part of it's charm...kind of in the same way that Jello Biafra helped define the sound for the Dead Kennedys. I love this record, and with each listen it continues to climb up in my Top 10 list for the year.

500 pressed on yellow vinyl.

1 comment:

chris said...

I'm really happy someone else wrote about this. This has definitely been one of my top listens on a weekly basis. Email me to get a copy of their self release! I have an extra one if you want.

http://unwaveringspirit.wordpress.com/2013/06/07/another-nervous-impulse/