Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pissed OFF!

As far as Black Flag goes, I've always been partial to the Keith Morris era, and it goes without saying that I've been a long time fan of the Circle Jerks. In my long list of favorite shows, I would have to include the two times that I saw the Circle Jerks...once in 1990 for their "farewell" tour, and then again in 2003 with G.B.H. and Good Riddance for a reunion tour. There have been rumors for years about another Circle Jerks album...a follow up to 1995's Oddities LP. Apparently disagreements within the band have kept the album from getting finished. Because of these disagreements, Keith Morris began working with the producer for the new album and wrote some songs for a side project called OFF!. They joined up with Mario Rubalcaba (who handled drums for 411) and Steven Shane McDonald from Redd Kross (who also played on the first Tenacious D album) and recorded 16 songs to make up four EPs for the band.

I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed. Fast and with a fistful of punk attitude, these songs sound like they were written right after the Circle Jerks session for Group Sex.

Packaged with original artwork from Raymond Pettibon, this box set contains the four EPs from OFF!, and looks amazing.

I'm not sure why the band chose to release these songs across four separate EPs, instead of just doing one LP. Still, there is no question that this is Keith Morris' strongest release in over 20 years.

3 comments:

mcs said...

Talk about being behind... I just picked up the first Off! 7". Now I have to buy it again in a box with three others. Looks amazing though & I badly want this thing. Any advice on where to pick one up?

Mike said...

I ordered mine through Interpunk.com. $18 for a 4 record box set seemed like a good price for me.

Lins87 said...

need to get this!!