Monday, August 12, 2013

Orchid In Full Bloom

Orchid are an amazing band, and with the release of their new album, The Mouths Of Madness, I was excited to start building a collection of their vinyl. I ordered a few copies of the new album that went up for pre-order at Nuclear Blast Germany, and went back and ordered colored vinyl for their first two records. Then there was a second pressing of those first two records, then more pressings of the Heretic 10 inch, then an exclusive pressing of the new album through Napalm Records...then a second exclusive pressing through Napalm...then a few more pressings of the new album through Nuclear Blast...then I found out about the exclusive green vinyl for the new album that was only offered to select Nuclear Blast customers...when the Nuclear Blast USA pressings came around, I came close to throwing in the towel. What started out as a fun project, had quickly spiraled out of control.

First up, Nuclear Blast USA gave us one pressing for the Mouths Of Madness LP. Okay, I can handle that. The purple and black vinyl looked really nice, and it came in a package deal with a sick looking shirt.

200 pressed.

Just when you thought it was safe, Nuclear Blast USA had pressed the LP on two more colors.

400 pressed on orange colored vinyl.

400 pressed on silver vinyl.

The Nuclear Blast USA stickers aren't as cool as their German counterparts, but it is still kind of nice to have them labelled.

Along with the second round of colored vinyl for The Mouths Of Madness, we finally get a US pressing of the Wizard Of War 10 inch.

What's three more pieces of vinyl at this point?

With three more copies under my belt, I figured that I must have this collection complete. I mean, how many more variations of The Mouths Of Madness can they press, right? I double check the pressing info on discogs...FUCK...there is another one that I don't have! Apparently there was a white vinyl pressing that Nuclear Blast Germany did that was limited to "vinyl dealers". I found a European distro that carried the white vinyl, and I grabbed one.

This is all of them, right? No. I just noticed this morning that Nuclear Blast Germany has two new pressings up for sale. I don't know if I can keep up any longer.

2 comments:

mcs said...

If it makes the situation better, the final photo makes me want to listen to this band. Any band that can make you want to buy that many copies of the same thing must be pretty special.

But yeah, there comes a point where you feel you HAVE to go on buying even though you don't really want to. I guess that's when you have to ask yourself if you're in control or full on addicted.

The new Integrity LP came out on 8 colors. I missed the test pressings that went up for sale and one of the preorder colors, and that put me off. I picked up two colors, then I found out they did a second press on 7 more colors. That was it for me. I was out. No way am I buying 15 colors of a new release... although I do have that weird feeling that I'm ruining my collection by not partaking in the madness.

xtinox said...

with that collection the mouths of madness have swallowed you whole man. incredible!