Sunday, December 04, 2011

Not Another Set Of Rules

The Rule of Nines is one of the great finds of the year. While the songs on this record were recorded back in 1995, they never really saw the light of day until the singer discovered an old demo tape earlier this year. He thought that it would be nice to see them released on vinyl, and Irish Voodoo Records helped him out.

I'd never heard of the band until Marcus posted about them on his blog. He spoke pretty highly of the record, and to make sure that people checked them out, he posted their video as well. That sealed the deal for me. The song ruled, and I quickly placed an order.

If you got in quick, you were one of the lucky few to get the "Badlands Edition". It was limited to 25, and comes with a special cover.

I thought that it was pretty cool that Marcus got number 9 for The Rule of Nines. I received the next one in line with number 10. I like it when I get sequential numbers with friends. I'm a nerd like that.

The regular press comes with a different cover, still pressed on white vinyl, and limited to 100. Yeah, even the regular press of this record is pretty limited.

My copy also included CD with the three songs, as opposed to a digital download card. Ha ha ha...so 90's...I love it.

The disappointing thing about this whole thing is knowing that the band recorded two other songs, but when the band switched singers back in the 90's, those songs were trashed and may be lost forever. Seriously, these three songs are amazing, and reminds me of how good early 90's hardcore was. It would have been nice to hear what else they put together. Highly recommended.

5 comments:

mcs said...

Cool that you got #10. And cool that you still trust my taste, despite me liking Piebald. Ha!

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew about this, The Badlands Limited cover is SOLD OUT! What is a Badlands? The meaning?

Mike said...

I honestly don't know where the Badlands comes from. Judging from the X on the map on the back cover, I assume it is the name of a certain part of town that the band is from.

Anonymous said...

First I want to thank you for the great review I want to thank all the people who spread the word about THE RULE OF NINES on blogs and websites. In the Inland Empire of Southern California, skaters and punker's called that area THE BADLANDS. The X on the back of the cover was the location of the PipeLine Skatepark R.I.P Here is a cool link to read up how the badlands became to be...Joey VooDoo of irish Voodoo Records

http://home.earthlink.net/~badlands-experience/index.html

Anonymous said...

Mike is dead on, at that time THE RULE OF NINES were from towns in THE BADLANDS.