Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dio Live At Donington

There is no such thing as too much Dio, and the vinyl for his bands just keeps coming in.




The latest is the double live album of Dio At Donington. Holy shit, look at the size of the crowd in that front cover shot. Mind blowing.



While I generally don't have much interest in live albums, one of the things that intrigues me about them is that it provides a snapshot of what the band was preforming at that time. For someone with a rich history like Ronnie James Dio, I'm excited to hear what songs he was including in his live set for each tour. I'd love for them to release a live album from the Angry Machines or Strange Highway tours.


The first album is from Dio's first appearance at Donington in 1983, touring for his first solo album, Holy Diver. A great selection of Rainbow, Sabbath, and Dio songs.


The second album is Dio's stop at Donington on the Dream Evil tour in 1987. I saw Dio on this tour, and it was the last time that I would catch him live until he got back together with the Black Sabbath guys and toured as Heaven & Hell in 2007.

1 comment:

Mr. P said...

Picked up a copy after reading your review. Thanks.