Saturday, October 23, 2021

Pretty Low

I was in a foul mood a few weeks back. I was stressed at work and people were pissing me the fuck off. Nothing seemed to be going my way and so I put on some music that fit my mood. Listening to some Expire was just what I needed to vent some of that frustration. I wanted to put my fist into my laptop screen, but instead I just bought a record. Deep breath in... Buy It Now... and exhale. Namaste.
Expire released their second album, Pretty Low, back in 2014, and as much as I liked Pendulum Swings from 2012, it still took me seven years to finally check it out. When Pretty Low was released, it was an off year for me with hardcore. All I wanted to listen to was metal, and I couldn't be bothered with the latest Expire. This year, however, has found me absolutely obsessed with newer hardcore bands... where "newer" could be defined as anything from the past ten years... and somewhere along the way Expire showed back up on my radar, so I figured maybe it was a good time to check out that Pretty Low album. Oh man, this record is exactly what I wanted. It had been around eight years since I've listened to Expire, but this record punched me in the throat and made me apologize for ignoring the band and this album for so long. So much anger and aggression. Fuck.
Initially, I wanted to chase down a pink vinyl pressing for this album, but when I saw how good the brown and purple split looked, I changed my mind and grabbed that one instead.

No comments: