Monday, November 16, 2020

Ex Youth Intervention

About a month or so ago, I was talking with some old blogger friends about some guilty pleasures that we had been listening to lately, and eventually the conversation turned to newer hardcore bands. When asked to name any relatively new hardcore band that gets us excited like the good old days, and while I was quick to throw out a list of bands that I totally get a charge out of, for the most part other responses were pretty sour and negative about the current state of hardcore. Hey, I get it. New bands probably aren't going to have the same impact on you at 50 that they did when you were 18, but I don't find them any less vital or enjoyable. Sure, that Youth Of Today record is superior to anything released recently, but I still reach for some Vantage Point before putting on Break Down The Walls... and there have been times when I didn't find newer hardcore records too exciting, but as history has shown, eventually some new record will click with me and I'll obsess over discovering new bands again. Anyway, after that coversation, my daily playlists were filled with nothing but records from the last ten years, and there was plenty of stuff in there that still gets my blood pumping.
The following day, Marcus reached out to me and mentioned a newer band that I'd never heard of before. With the horrible band name of Ex Youth, it isn't any surprise that I never picked up on them when their 7 inch was released in 2018. However, once Marcus mentioned that one of the Ceremony dudes was singing in the band, and they were reminicent of those early Ceremony records, I was quick to check them out.
This shit is great. The entire Oakland Intervention record rages with an absolute fury. I was so impressed that I rushed over to Discogs to snatch up the purple vinyl pressing before anyone else made a move on it. Who says there are no good newer hardcore bands?

1 comment:

mcs said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this. The purple vinyl looks pretty cool too I have to say.