Friday, October 09, 2020

No Cure For Fools

Over the summer I picked up the West Coast Tour pressing of Foundation's Hang Your Head. Man, that is a cool looking package. In that post, I mentioned that some of the special pressings for Foundation records carry a high price tag, and it wasn't something that I really wanted to fuck around with...and yet, here we are just a few months later with me eating my words.
Foundation play a hard and heavy style of hardcore that really reminds me of 90's bands like Chokehold and One King Down, and when I'm in the mood for that shit, this band delivers every fucking time. So when I was recently on a mid-90's hardcore kick, I started throwing the Foundation records into the playlist and before long I was looking at Discogs and wondering if there were any Foundation record that I might want to buy. I noticed that someone had a copy of the record release pressing for When The Smoke Clears available, and while it was't cheap, the price wasn't over the top crazy. However, the thing was, I had no idea what the packaging was for the record release press, and since Discogs had no photos, I was even more intrigued due to the mystery. I couldn't resist the temptation so I bought it.

For the record release pressing the dust sleeve for the record is printed and numbered out of 150. Damn, this looks absolutely fantastic. The record also comes with a fanzine style booklet with a bunch of photos and writings from friends reflecting on the band.

I've never put any thought into collecting Foundation records, and it's never felt like it has been something I've actively pursued, yet somehow I keep slowly adding pieces here and there. It still isn't an impressive collection, but hey, check with me in another ten years and let's see where we are at then.

No comments: