Sunday, September 27, 2020

Stars And Stripes Of Corruption

I've been all over the map with my record collecting this year. I haven't been able to focus on a single target and I keep jumping to whatever stupid thing has attracted my attention at the moment. Lately I've been obsessing over Japanese singles, and as much fun as it has been to chase down a bunch of these things, at the end of the day it seems a bit frivolous. Recently, I got tired of just dicking around, and I wanted to get serious. It was time to make a move and fill a big hole in the collection.

I've always been a big fan of Dead Kennedys, and given the political shit show in the White House right now, I find that I'm reaching for the DK stuff more than usual. I tend to be a positive and upbeat person, but lately I've been on edge. I'm done trying to have any meaningful discourse at this point, and believe me, I've tried...right now I'm of the mindset that if you support Trump, you can fuck off. I'm tired of trying to see the gray, and at this point things are black or white...right or wrong...and at the end of the day, I just want to throw up the middle finger and listen to punk.

I forget just how great Frankenchrist is and tend to overlook it for Plastic Surgery Disasters and Fresh Fruit, but this album holds up with the best of them...plus it has one of my favorite DK songs ever with Stars And Stripes Of Corruption.

But what can just one of us do?
Against all that money and power
Trying to crush us into roaches?
We don't destroy society in a day
Until we change ourselves first
From the inside out
We can start by not lying so much
And treating other people like dirt
It's easy not to base our lives
On how much we can scam
And you know
It feels good to lift that monkey off our backs

That song left such an impression on me as a kid, and why I can't understand why people are comfortable being ignorant, selfish pieces of shit these days.

Even though I find the Giger "Penis Landscape" poster to be unpleasant to look at, I still needed a copy of Frankenchrist with it. Funny enough, this copy of the poster has some old tape residue on the back, which indicates that someone liked it enough to hang it on their wall.

I'm very happy to add this classic album to the collection.

3 comments:

luciferyellow said...

These songs should not hold up as well as they do, but here we are...

Johnny said...

Man, Vio-Lence recently released a video for a new cover they did of "California Uber Alles", and while I was stoked to hear "new" music from them and am anticipating their new original music, it was disappointing that they accompany it with a really juvenile anti-mask video. I feel like Jello would be bummed about it, but who knows.

Mike said...

Yeah Johnny, that was disappointing. The band sounds good, but the cover song was not the way to come back. I don't know much about their politics, but it sounds like they are a bit cringy. Wish they would stick to just writing songs about serial killers and coroners.