Monday, September 07, 2020

More NWOBHM

Early last year, I was obsessing pretty hard on the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, and along the way I downloaded the songs from the first More album, Warhead. As I was picking up some Deep Purple singles this year, I noticed that a US seller had a copy of the Warhead album for sale with a price tag under $10, so I took the opportunity to add it to the collection.

More is a solid NWOBHM band that jumped immediately to a major label with Atlantic Records. They feature the original Iron Maiden singer, Paul Mario Day, and I imagine that expectations were high for this band...so I find it strange that I only heard them last year. That may have something to do with More sounding a bit more like a heavy 70's rock band, and not really having that dirty, pounding punk vibe that bands like Iron Maiden, Raven and Tygers Of Pan Tang had in the early 80's. Still this is a really good record, and with each spin, I find myself enjoying it more and more. This was the only More record to feature Day on vocals, so I've been a bit hesitant to dig into the band's follow up, Blood & Thunder from 1982, but seeing how Martin Popoff rated that record as a solid 10 in his Headbanger's Guide to 900 NWOBHM Records, I might have to get to that soon.

I basically bought this pressing blind, so I was very happy to discover that this was the UK press, and includes that song Lord Of Twilight, which didn't show up on the US press.

No comments: