Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Orgasm Record Addict

I remember my brother buying the Singles Going Steady cassette from the Buzzcocks when we were kids. We were metalheads through and through, but as 16 year old kids back in '86/'87, and basically feeling our way blindly, we had a string of good luck checking out bands with hilarious names like Butthole Surfers, Circle Jerks, and Dayglo Abortions. When we saw this Buzzcocks cassette, and with the opening song titled Orgasm Addict, we figured that we couldn't lose, and we took a chance on it. Unfortunately, it was a complete dud. Orgasm Addict was entertaining, but overall, it just seemed thin and weak to our ears at the time.

Just like The Weirdos, I decided to give the Buzzcocks another chance a few years ago when I was neck deep in a '77 punk obsession. I downloaded the band's first two singles, Spiral Scratch and Orgasm Addict, and had such a great time with them that I quickly also downloaded the first album Another Music In A Different Kitchen, and I was surprised with how much I was enjoying the band. I guess that my 16 year old metalhead ears just couldn't appreciate what I was hearing back then.

Initially I was looking to pick up a record with some history to it, and make a move for something bigger than a $3 record from a long forgotten 90's hardcore bands, and after grabbing the Crucifix 7 inch from Broken Bones, thing escalated quickly when I also added the We Got The Neutron Bomb from The Weirdos to the cart as well. At that point, I was in deep, and figured that I might as well go fucking nuts since the seller had a ton of great old punk records available, and I grabbed a copy of the Orgasm Addict single to the cart to finish this shopping spree off with a bang.

No comments: