Saturday, April 11, 2020

Third Age

While I've been working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, I figured that I'd take the opportunity to finish loading the last of my 7 inch records into Discogs. I've had all if my albums listed in there for a while now, and I'd been slowly adding my 7 inch records, so I basically just had "Supertouch" through "Youth Of Today" to finish adding to my Discogs collecition. While I was going through those remaining records, I came across The Furthest West 7 inch from Third Age. It had probably been 20 years since I'd listened to it, and I couldn't really remember anything about the band. I dropped it on the turntable and absolutely loved it.

Since I was already on the Third Age page in Discogs, I noticed that in addition to that debut 7 inch from 1993, they also released a second one in '94. Information wasn't as easily available back then, so I wasn't even aware that this thing existed. I was having so much fun with The Furthest West record, that I immediately placed an order for their second 7 inch...I mean, it was only $3, so why the fuck not.

Third Age play a style of early 90's hardcore that has a definite nostalgia factor for me. When I was first really starting to dig into hardcore back in the day, bands like Kingpin and Temperance were local up and coming heroes in the Boston/New England scene, and Third Age have that same sound. Great driving melodic hardcore.

No comments: