Saturday, January 04, 2020

We Are Not Your Kind

I haven't been interested in Slipknot for years. There were a few of the nu metal bands that I was digging in the early 2000's, but it really only lasted a few years...and once my love affair was rekindled for those old metal bands from my teen years, I left all that nu metal stuff behind. What can I say? It was a time and place thing, and nothing that I figured I'd be interested in again. So I was quite surprised when on a whim I decided to check out the new Slipknot video for Unsainted, and I was floored with how much I was enjoying it. I bought the picture disc single on Record Store Day, and kind of thought that it was all that I'd need.

I listened to the new Slipknot album, We Are Not Your Kind, a couple of times on Spotify and was surprised with how much I was enjoying it, but I still wasn't convinced to buy the new record. When I put that picture disc single from Record Store Day on the turntable for a spin, I was blown away. Both Unsainted and All Out Life were an absolute blast, and as soon as I ripped through that two song 7 inch, I was finally convinced that I needed the album in my record collection.

It is so weird to be buying any Slipknot record in 2019, let alone a new album. I keep second guessing myself, and questioning if I really like it...but then I'll go back to it and play it just to confirm that it isn't terrible...and then it kicks in, and I'm like "oh fuck yes".

No comments: