Saturday, May 12, 2018

RSD 2018 - Part 1: Rainbow Demon [The 70's]

I've been struggling to keep up with this blog lately. I'm so far behind on my posts and records are stacking up. In an attempt to try and appear current, I'm going to have to move my Record Store Day haul to the front of the line, and try and knock out a quick series of posts.

Record Store Day did not disappoint this year. I didn't give a shit about any of the RSD exclusives, so I avoided the bigger record stores and just hit the used bins around town. Every store that I walked into managed to find some older vinyl that I was excited to pick up. Let's break them down, in chronological order...starting in the 70's.

[1972] I've wanted some early Uriah Heep on vinyl for a while now. For some reason, a while back, I got it stuck in my head that I only wanted the UK Bronze pressing, and I'd been kind of hold out for that. I'm pretty sure that I've seen this US Mercury pressing of Demons And Wizards at the Moody Lords store for the past couple of years, and I kept passing it by. This year, when I saw it still in the racks, I just got tired of waiting for that "perfect copy", and bought it. Cool to finally have a copy on my shelf.

[1973] I already owned a copy of Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies, but seeing this copy with the hype sticker on the cover at the first store that I stopped at, I decided on a whim to grab it. Had I seen it later in the day, after I'd spent a bunch of money, I might have passed it by, but here, early in shopping day, I said "fuck it" and added it to the other records I was picking up. Plus, it was only $7, so why not, right?

One of the main reasons why I bought this copy was because my original Warner Brothers pressing was missing the perforated photo cards of the band members from the inside sleeve of the gatefold. This German pressing had those, but was missing the dollar bill insert...so now I have two pressings that are incomplete.

[1977] I really enjoy the first few Angel records. Their second album, Helluva Band, is my favorite, but the third, On Earth As It Is In Heaven, is not slouch. Great 70's Hard Rock.

Seeing that this copy came with both the poster and the merchandise insert, made this one an easy purchase at $8.

Usually I prefer it when the merchandise insert is in mint condition, and I would typically turn down a copy that has writing on it, but for some reason, the answers on this Angel form made me laugh and want it even more.

No comments: