Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Russian Collusion

Near the end of 2017, I finished reading Martin Popoff's second book on the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, This Means War. As I closed in on the end of the book, it should come as no surprise to anyone that I was ramping up for a NWOBHM obsession.

I'll admit, my NWOBHM game is weak. My record collection is very light on the subject, plus there are a number of bands from that era that I've still never heard or spent much time with. As we rolled into 2018, more than 35 years after the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal started to take off, I was finally committing myself to dig deep and spend some time with those records.

I've got lots of work to do on this project, but my first order of business was to finally pick up the vinyl for Witchfinder General's Soviet Invasion EP.

Witchfinder General have an obvious influence from Black Sabbath, and the band pull off that sound perfectly. They are a bit more raw and loose than Sabbath, but goddamn, they are still great.

This 12 inch EP might not have the stunning photography work like their two album covers, but I still think that this record looks great. Feels good to finally have one of those original Heavy Metal Records labels in my collection.

No comments: