Sunday, December 03, 2017

Dio-cember: Part 3 - Angry Machines

After picking up the Lock Up The Wolves vinyl, it got me thinking about the last few studio albums that I needed to add to the Dio collection. I was heading into dangerous waters, as they were all released during those dark days when vinyl was basically a dead format for most record labels. Both Strange Highways (1993) and Magica (2000) saw a very limited run of vinyl, and will take some serious cash when the time comes to chase them down, and while Angry Machines (1996) wasn't cheap, it was still much easier to track down than the other two.

Angry Machines is kind of looked upon as the black sheep in Dio's catalog. It is darker, doomier, and more angry than what you expect from Dio, and I'll admit, it took me some time to really appreciate this, but man, once it clicked, I really fell in love with it.

Now the deal with Angry Machines is that it "officially" has never been released on vinyl. If you want a vinyl copy, you've got to hunt down one of the few bootleg pressings. Since Discogs is being a bitch about bootlegs, and refusing to allow people to sell "unofficial" releases through their marketplace, I was forced to track one down on eBay. Being a boot, I was nervous that it may sound like shit, but this ended up being a quality record. Until there is an official release on vinyl, this bootleg will do.

No comments: